Motiv Power Systems (www.motivps.com) is seeking a Principal Power Electronics Engineer to lead the development of electrical hardware and systems for our all-electric powertrain. We provide next-generation power management electronics and software for heavy electric drive vehicles. Motiv is the only company to have an electric powertrain in vehicles as diverse as school buses and refuse trucks.
As the Principal Power Electronics Engineer for the core components that power Motiv’s all-electric powertrain, you must take ownership of our hardware from start to finish, including specification, concept, design, prototype, validation, and manufacturing. Projects will include high-voltage DC-DC converters up to 1000 V and 50 kW, AC-DC converters for motor drives and battery charging above 50 kW, and other power electronics and signal-level circuits that expand the boundaries of Motiv’s technology. You will be responsible for maintaining an expertise in the electric vehicle and component technology landscape, understanding how various advancements might fit into Motiv’s system and to ensure Motiv stays at the leading edge of development in the heavy duty electrical vehicles industry.
As a small and growing company, we are critically dependent on our team members’ leadership, enthusiasm, creative problem solving, and self-motivation across a wide range of both technical and non-technical disciplines. Candidates for this role will be expected to provide mentorship, inspiration, and leadership across the technical organization.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Start to finish ownership of component-level hardware, from specification to design, prototype, manufacturing, and field failure analysis.
This hardware includes but is not limited to:
o 50 kVA+ AC-DC battery chargers
o 30 kW+ bidirectional DC-DC converters
o Signal-level electronics, including gate drivers and PMSM motor controllers
• Developing elegant solutions to complex engineering problems on the circuit, component, and vehicle levels
• Strong advocacy for rigorous engineering practice and thought throughout the organization, including developing processes, reviewing documentation, and presenting your viewpoints to non-technical and technical leaders
• Evaluating job candidates for technical competence across the engineering domains
• Mentoring junior engineers and explaining complex technical topics to colleagues across the spectrum of domain expertise
• Working with vendors and partners (current and potential) to consider new component integration into Motiv’s powertrain
• Developing next generation ideas and state of art technology in the heavy duty electrical vehicle industry.
• 4-year engineering degree and MUST HAVE 5+ years of relevant experience or equivalent; advanced degree holders are preferred.
• Deep understanding of electronics to the device physics level
• Understanding of a diverse array of power electronics converter topologies
• Practical knowledge of non-idealities in circuit components and assemblies
• Expertise in component-level circuit debugging with DMM, oscilloscope.
• Knowledge of feedback control and stability.
• Demonstrated ability to mentor engineers, including in debugging, design, manufacturability, and other domain knowledge
• Expertise in many of the following areas:
o Model development and simulation tools
o Circuit analysis
o Power electronics and thermal management
o EMI and RF
o Motor control
o DFM, DFT and Reliability Engineering
o Test automation
o Automotive electronics
This is a full-time permanent position based in Foster City, CA. Candidates only, please – no recruiters. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.